Under the supervisor of the Program Supervisors and Program Coordinators, the Metro Instructor teaches adaptive sports and therapeutic recreation lessons to individuals with disabilities. This position includes instruction in activities for individuals, group lessons and custom programming. Instructors may determine usage of adaptive equipment and may also teach instructor and volunteer training clinics. Program locations determined by activity schedule.
- Leads participant programming for metro sports and activities, including but not limited to team sports, NSCD Moves! activity course, lake and river paddle sports, hiking, biking, rock and wall climbing.
- Supports overnight camping trips and multi-day camps.
- Performs student assessments, plans lessons according to adaptive sports and therapeutic recreation concepts.
- Determines and modifies adaptive equipment.
- Instructs individual or group lessons using appropriate teaching progressions and exercises.
- Implements and evaluates participant improvement; documents participant progress and maintains accurate records.
- Sets goals and makes recommendations for future lessons.
- Assists during volunteer training clinics and volunteer work sessions.
- Assists with volunteer registrations and recognitions.
- Attends NSCD required continuing education training sessions.
- Assists with NSCD special events.
- Supports Customer Relations staff.
- Actively participates with NSCD fundraising efforts.
- Consistently follows safety procedures and utilizes appropriate safety equipment.